Tuesday, September 05, 2006

PQ up by Five

According to Angus Reid:

Parti Quebecois: 37% (-3%)
Liberal Party of Quebec: 32% (+11%)
Action democratique du Quebec: 13% (-)
Parti vert: 9%
Quebec solidaire: 7%

The changes are from November 2005 and, if I am not mistaken, the original article contains an error, either in the Liberal Party gains since November (which it claims to be nine points), or in the November 2005 Liberal Party figure, which is given at 21%.

I don't claim to understand the electoral dynamics of Quebec, but this looks like minority government territory. If so, I wonder how that would effect the timing and possibility of any referendum question?

4 comments:

EUGENE PLAWIUK said...

Interesting the the left party is at 7% since they were only launched last year.

bigcitylib said...

I wonder who they would be pulling votes from.

bigcitylib said...

Link don't work, Iggy-for-P.

Suzanne said...

I know the numbers look bad to an outsider, but I've lived in Quebec and worked in the Quebec Liberal Party.

Those numbers are actually not that bad. In fact, they're somewhat encouraging given all the bad press Charest gets.

Don't underestimate the Quebec Liberal Party electoral machine. They are the very best. They manage the impossible. Just think: they eeked out a NO vote when it looked grim. Like 'em or hate 'em, they get results.

I seriously doubt there will be a referendum if the PQ is elected. There's been so much turmoil in Quebec, I suspect people are sick of instability. They just want "normalcy".