Friday, March 23, 2007

Another Long Day For Stockwell

As Former Okanagan Coquihalla MP Jim Hart, the man alleged to have accepted money in the year 2000 to step down in favor of Stockwell Day so the newly elected Canadian Alliance leader could find a safe seat to run in, "refused to confirm or deny" the existence of a payout:

In the statement e-mailed to Penticton radio station CKOR, Hart said when he first offered to resign his seat to make way for Day, there was no talk about whether he would lose out financially and no discussion about compensation.

But later in the e-mail, Hart said Day told his first caucus meeting in Ottawa that anyone who resigned early "would bear no financial losses."

"Seven years ago, when my resignation was accepted by the party, I was asked to provide an estimate of my financial losses," Hart continued.

"Seven years ago, my desire was to protect my staff from job losses.

"Seven years ago, my desire was to protect my family until I found work. I was just a grassroots guy, not independently wealthy and trying to do the right thing."

So, first he denies taking cash to step aside, then seems to 1) justify a payout and 2) insinuate that it was the Party's (Stockwell Day's) idea.

10 comments:

Gayle said...

This all happened at the same time Day settled a defamation lawsuit here in Alberta (using taxpayers dollars no less), which he artificially extended until his leadership campaign was over so it would not adversely affect his chances.

Yup - a stellar guy.

Anonymous said...

maybe Day got paid off with the still missing $40 million the Liberals stole from the taxpayers in Adscam ??

bigcitylib said...

No,anon, I have most of that.

Ti-Guy said...

Yeah, and I better see my cut soon, BCL, or I'll go public about...you know what. Suffice to say, I know about the basement, the ball-gags, the captives who call themselves "anonymous" and, inexplicably, a huge bill for broadband Internet, invoiced in your name.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...BCL, you're a pretty smart guy, you have to realize that this latest nonsense from that weasel Mark Holland is a stretch...

Although I'm a Conservative supporter, I've personally never been a fan of Stockwell Day...the jet-ski stunt was probably one of the most stupid gaffes in Canadian political lore.

And by the way ti-guy, nice to see the witty side of you...that was quite funny...

Anonymous said...

Maybe somebody in the liberal brain trust should explain to Holland that the entire Senate is a payoff to politicicns.

Ti-Guy said...

And by the way ti-guy, nice to see the witty side of you...that was quite funny...

I'm always funny, Brucie. Couldn't you tell that from the last time you tried to hack my computer?

Anonymous said...

Ipsos-Reid has the Tories at 40%, pass it on.

Darren McEwen said...

I'm not sure what is more classic...

The adscam "drive by smears" (Stockwell's words) or the "40% Tory support" trolls.

Either way, it's Conservative blogging at its finest.

Ti-Guy said...

Let's just call the Conservatives "The 40 percenters." That's about 10% above the 30% "lunatic fringe" that comprises its base, so I think its rather complimentary.

It's also reference to the median IQ of most Conservatives, so it's also evocative.