Saturday, April 06, 2013

Travels In LiberalLand

I have been granted the honor of blogging the LPoC showcase downtown today.  I take these things seriously, so I will probably try to write a quick post about each of the candidates pitch speeches, though this ambition may get scaled back to Joyce and Justin's.  Maybe MHF's if I'm in a bad mood and want to hurl abuse.  Physically, I will be there for at least part of the show so as to absorb the triumphant vibe that surely must emanate from such a transplendant coagulation of Liberalness, but  may skip out the boring bits (ie any musical tributes).  Again, I'm not sure what I'll do when Ms. Findlay speaks; I may stick around  to observe how quickly the room turns against her.  I'm bringing one of those fancy digital stop-watches that can measure to the 1/100th of a second.

Otherwise I will be splitting time among ancillary events, particularly the Progblogs do at Omar's place.

As to the issue of slow ticket sales, I'm told this problem has been overblown.  Its also been rumored that the LPoC has tasked ex MP Joe Volpe with scaring up a few extra bodies.  So we'll see if my dead grandma is in attendance.

I will also be on twitter for the event. where I write as @Bigcitylib2.  At some point soon, though not necessarily today, I will endorse one of the candidates.  Not that anyone cares.  But I will.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

You take these things seriously? By writing in your blog you may cover a candidate just to attack them?

CuJoYYC said...

Jordan said...
"You take these things seriously? By writing in your blog you may cover a candidate just to attack them?"

My thoughts exactly Jordan. Maybe he meant seriously un-objective. I guess that's what you get from a curmudgeon who can't figure out how use us a Canadian spell checker (It's HONOUR not honor in Canada. I can understand why a HarperCon would prefer American spelling, but not a self-prefessed Liberal) and can't move beyond the 1970s typewriting class that taught double spaces after a sentence rather than the modern AND CORRECT single space. :-) That approach worked for mono-spaced typewriters but not for proportionally spaced fonts in the digital age.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing#Transition_to_single_spacing

Typography
Early positions on typography (the "arrangement and appearance of text") supported traditional spacing techniques in English publications. In 1954, Geoffrey Dowding's book, Finer Points in the Spacing and Arrangement of Type, underscored the widespread shift from a single enlarged em space to a standard word space between sentences.

With the advent of the computer age, typographers began deprecating double spacing, even in monospaced text. In 1989, Desktop Publishing by Design stated that "typesetting requires only one space after periods, question marks, exclamation points, and colons", and identified single sentence spacing as a typographic convention. Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works (1993) and (2006) both indicate that uniform spacing should be used between words, including between sentences.

More recent works on typography weigh in strongly. Ilene Strizver, founder of the Type Studio, says, "Forget about tolerating differences of opinion: typographically speaking, typing two spaces before the start of a new sentence is absolutely, unequivocally wrong." The Complete Manual on Typography (2003) states that "The typewriter tradition of separating sentences with two word spaces after a period has no place in typesetting" and the single space is "standard typographic practice". The Elements of Typographic Style (2004) advocates a single space between sentences, noting that "your typing as well as your typesetting will benefit from unlearning this quaint [double spacing] Victorian habit."

ch said...

Have fun and keep it positive!

One candidate (not MHF) has irritated the heck out of me, but I hope the showcase is used to profile each candidate's final positive pitch and not to take swipes at other candidates.

crf said...

Close your eyes and imagine this awesome long comment using Bolds and Italics and References and Capital letters and Paragraphs.