Sunday, June 25, 2006

BigCityLib Buys a Digital Camera

In advance of next's week's trip out West, to visit Ma and Pa Liberal and my little brother, Left Coast Hipster, I broke down and bought a Canon Powershot SD630. In the past, I've come back from vacation with reams of film that never seem to get developed, so I thought I would try a different approach this time.


I also want to be able to add original photographic content here (on this blog, I mean).

And so $900 later...

...the taking pictures stuff I've figured out, but I am having trouble downloading them to the computer. The camera connects, and it comes up asking you which software you want to use ("Camera Control"), but when I click on that everything just hangs. No software loads.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? The PC itself is a Dell about two years old, hardly top of the line, but you would think something like this wouldn't be a problem.

In any case, probably won't be writing much else today.

Cheers,

BigCityLib

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could help BCL but I'm one of those indignant, self-righteous Mac users!

Anonymous said...

from the pen of william fudger

What paul means is, sorry but your just not in the right economic bracket buddy.

Self-righteous indeed.

Anonymous said...

Mac Owners=false sense of superiority, delusions of grandeur, etc etc. Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

That's odd. Are you using Windows XP? The few times I've hooked up a digital camera, it just becomes another storage device and a folder is created automatically, from which I just drag and drop the image files. It's been a while though.

What I generally don't do is use the software that comes with the camera. It usually comes with too many bells and whistles and ends up complicating what is fundamentally a pretty straightforward process.

bigcitylib said...

It's weird. Everything works fine on the laptop (I have discovered since writing the origonal post). On the desk-top everything (connecting the camera, etc.) takes forever to open, literally.

And yeah it is window's XP.