Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sealand For Sale

From CBC:

LONDON (AP) - It has its own flag, stamps and passport, a tiny "country" that's up for sale. But buyers beware: It's only a wartime fort perched on two concrete towers in the North Sea.

I heard about this place a couple of years ago when some of the inhabitants began posting to Slashdot on issues like data havens and online music pirates and so forth. In fact, I thought the place was being used as some kind of off-shore data haven.

In any case, its the kind of place I dreamed of living when I was a kid.

Or a missile base. I've always wanted to live on my own abandoned missile base, and there is a list of them for sale here.

(Kind of a test post. Blogger was down all day for maintenance and I still can't switch to the new version.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the sixties some of these former radar/anti-aircraft installations were sites for so-called 'pirate radio' stations. Being outside the then two mile national boundary water limit they could broadcast 'free radio' into the UK where broadcast was a government run monopoly. Some of the early British rock bands got their start thanks to these stations when the BBC wouldn't touch them.

Anonymous said...

"(Kind of a test post. Blogger was down all day for maintenance and I still can't switch to the new version.)"

BSL threatens to spike anons, blog goes down for a day. Let that be a warning.