Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Prog Blogs T.O. Party

...went off splendidly. People wanted to sit near me, and a beautiful woman gave me beer!

Thanks to Kelly John Rose and Tracey for hosting. One thing I discovered was that Kelly was once employed by the Canadian Space Agency, as attested to by all the photos of NASA astronauts (Garneau included) on the walls. Apparently, he worked "in payload" for Garneau's shuttle flight. Or was the payload in Garneau's shuttle flight. I never quite got clear on that. Tracey is in mathematical linguistics, and towards the end we commiserated drunkenly (me anyway) over the sad state of the field.

On a more somber note, Jeff Jedras is off to, like, Roumania for an international blogging conference. I'm thinking of setting up a tip jar in advance of the inevitable ransom letter and, if the worse does happen, I've claimed the stuff in his apartment. But all I really want is his computer gear. Good luck Jeff! Hope you don't wind up in Hostel III!

6 comments:

Ti-Guy said...

So I take it y'all didn't come up with a media enemies list?

We can't wait for the Liberal Party to pull an Obama and start attacking our news media. No party will ever do that, and as we've seen, journalists get all tribal and start pretending each and every one of them is a Woodward and Bernstein taking on the evil Nixon.

Favourite bit from that link:

Journalism has a special, hallowed place for stories of its practitioners' persecution. There is no higher claim to journalistic integrity than going to jail to protect a source. And the Newseum in Washington, D.C., establishes the profession's legitimacy with a memorial to fallen scribes, thus drawing an implicit connection between the murdered abolitionist editors of long ago and the struggling outfit that gave you this morning's page-one story about cute pets in Halloween costumes.

bigcitylib said...

Yeah. Lotta names on the list. I suggested a mass car keying around Xmas. Didn't go over that well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In regards to acting on an enemies list, keep in mind that for many bloggers, any action that goes beyond walking is probably exceeding their physical limits - if frequent stops for snacks and drinks aren't factored in, that is.

We bloggers are not a hardy stock.

Kurt Phillips said...

Romania isn't all that bad. I was there about seven years ago. If you avoid Bucharest, it's a lovely country. And my unexpected extended stay only cost me a kidney and my left pinkie.

Anonymous said...

Heh.