Monday, December 28, 2009

And One Day I Shall Be A Man...

I agree with Imp on this one.

More generally, Iggy has to stop making the narrative about himself. Yes "leadership" remains an important issue, but I don't think he can make much headway with it by going all meta and detailing the steps by which he is transforming himself into an effective politician. Is this supposed to lead to a statement two/six/ten months down the road to the effect that "I, Iggy, have arrived!"?

I also don't like the implication that Liberal policy under Iggy is still, still in process. For one thing, a few solid planks have already been laid out, at least on environmental issues (my personal hobby-horse) and maybe pension reform. For another, it seems unwise to rely on a "think-fest" to produce some shiny new idea that's not a fat target for ridicule and attack ads. Especially when a more likely result will be a repackaging of some old Lib stand-bys. Not that re-packaged policies are necessarily bad (although a few of them are hard to take seriously anymore), but to have so much hinge on a single confab seems like a build-up to a let-down.

5 comments:

Tof KW said...

Iggy has to stop making the narrative about himself.

Actually he has not, that's the CPC war room making him the narrative. Figure out how to counter that and Ignatieff will finally have some traction with the undecideds.

bigcitylib said...

How exactly are they putting the words into his mouth?

Omar said...

The "I'm getting better at this" bothers me more than "I'm learning", but neither instills a whole helluva lot of confidence. For someone who can put wonderful word to page Ignatieff's spoken one is sorely vacant.

RuralSandi said...

Perhaps some better interviewers would help. When the interviewer addresses Ignatieff or Harper they open with YOU'VE had a bad year and how do YOU feel about it, etc.

Even Harper says let ME be clear and I don't think, etc.

When someone asks YOU a question, YOU answer I.

If the interviewer were to ask about the "Party" in general, perhaps the response would be "WE" instead. Not making excuses, but I noticed that Craig Oliver, et all always as "...YOU...."

We need some really qualified interviewers in this country.

Perhaps Iggy has been instructed to just get through the Xmas interview season quietly for now.

Dr.Dawg said...

I feel your pain, BCL. :)