Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Taste The Pain

My wife has been predicting an economic collapse for ten years now, just on general principles, and she's sort of happy her predictions are finally coming true. Her favorite blog (I am apparently not even in the top 10) has recently become The Layoff List. Run by a fellow in New York State, its purpose is to

...highlight the ever deteriorating job picture and to list smaller layoff announcements that don’t get the attention of main stream media. There is a great deal of scattered job loss information, but I want to try and gather as much information as I can and present it in a manner that is concise, informative and somewhat easy to read.

The site traffics in both news and rumors, and these latter tend more often than not to be born out. For example, LL called Microsoft's last round of layoffs several weeks before they were confirmed in the MSM. Quite a bit of Canadian content as well.

Reminds me a bit of that great old website, F***ked Company, that narrated the collapse of the tech bubble in the late 1990s.

So give it a visit, because things are far, far worse then you think.

6 comments:

Ti-Guy said...

I don't want to sound prescient or anything, but I predicted an economic collapse back in the early 80's. It was after watching a business report on the CBC in which a number of super-serious investment analysts were gushing about the wondrous opportunities that Chuck E. Cheese Pizza Time Theatres presented. Not that it was a bad business venture necessarily...just the realisation I came to that the prevaling economic orthodoxy had brought us to this point in human (d)evolution: that such a trivial activity would be the subject of serious, mature consideration.

And it just got worse...and dumber...after that.

Ti-Guy said...

Thank you, Fred, for supplying an example of the type of thing I'm talking about.

Whatever happens, you better make sure you're trim and fleet-of-foot. When times get decidedly direr, you doughy wingnuts are going to look mighty tasty.

*slobber*

Gene Rayburn said...

Sure Fred, that's because we currently have a Liberal government dont we?

At least the economic downturn isnt harming your delusion

Unknown said...

"I don't want to sound prescient or anything, but I predicted an economic collapse back in the early 80's." - ti

Wow. Over 25 years ago you made a vague, meaningless prediction and now we are in the middle of a bad recession! What a genius!!

Andy said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
www.backpains.net.au

Ti-Guy said...

Don't be envious and bitter, Paul.