Monday, February 04, 2008

The Chickens Strike Back!

Or at least the chicken growers:

Unbiased researchers at the Cranfield University in Silsoe , UK, released a report last year on the impact of various agricultural commodities on global warming. Their conclusion were very interesting and positive for the poultry industry.

Not that poultry does not contribute to global warming, but it is the least contributor of all animal products, and significantly less than most greenhouse grown fruits and vegetables.

[...]

From the conclusions, one would expect that indoor poultry production is an unfavourable system. On the contrary; free range and organic production contribute up to 10-30 % more to global warming than indoor production, while in addition it requires 65% to 200% more land for keeping birds and producing feed.

Hear that? You can eat your wings guilt free! It's time to hit the pub!

(A bit thin on blogging today. Work will be all about fixing the stuff I screwed up last week and my time will be short. Plus, my chicken picture always brings traffic and I haven't used it in awhile. PS anyone else having hassles with Blogger?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find, however, that chicken wings increase my ... um ... personal methane production, if you know what I mean. Hence more GWG.

Anonymous said...

This is why I hunt - I'm "saving the planet".