Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Good Old Drudge

...has uncovered a Spanish Language version of the American National Anthem here commissioned by the U.S. Federal Government in 1919. In fact, he points out that the U.S. State Department currently has four different Spanish Language versions of the Anthem on its website. Maybe the State Department hates America.

This is more than enough to convince me that the current uproar over "Nuestro Himno" is nothing but Racism and Demagoguery.

I also have to admit to a grudging admiration for Drudge. His politics suck, but he is too honest to be 100% partisan.

2 comments:

Saskboy said...

That's amazing. I've seen a lot of buzz about Spanish versions, mostly because I've been cruising American ultra-conservatives' blogs lately.
I've just told them that Canada's had a multi-lingual national anthem, and it hasn't torn the country apart :-D

bigcitylib said...

Yeah, and I did a quick look for other alternative language versions of the Star Spangled Banner and found a bunch (all through Wiki). They sing it in French in Louisiania, and its been translated into Samoan.