Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tom Wappel: Even Catholics Don't Give A Shit!

Tom Wappel bitches to Lifesite about how poorly he's been treated over the years by Catholics. My favorite bit is his story about visiting YellowKnife Catholic school where the students showed a bit too much independent-mindedness:

As long as I live, I will never forget being in Yellow Knife North West Territories in February of 1990. I was running for the leadership of the Liberal party of Canada in those days, there were 5 candidates - Jean Chretien, Sheila Copps, Paul Martin, Tom Wappel, and Jean Chretien. We were in North West Territories.

I was invited by a local Catholic superintendent of schools who was a supporter of mine in the leadership - to attend a Catholic high school question and answer period. I went. This is a Catholic high school, and remember, I was talking about things like respect for life. I wasn't really talking about marriage in those days because 18 years ago, that hadn't really come up yet. But I was talking about abortion and euthanasia and things of that nature.

To this day, 18 years later, one of my greatest regrets and tragedies - that, that was my worst experience as a politician in any school that I ever went to across this great country - and it was a Catholic high school. I felt, and I still feel in my recollections today, I felt like a piece of meat that was dangled over a pool of sharks and that is how I was treated by students and staff alike on these issues.

OK, if I was in a public high school, I might have expected it but not at a Catholic high school. I could not believe the vitriol that came from these students and their teachers at a Catholic high school. I was shocked, and I might say, so was the superintendant of schools that invited me. Not only was he shocked but he was embarrassed to the point of speechlessness. That sort of things should not be happening.

Why is it that Catholic high schools - and I hope I am not making a generalization - certainly, in that one, have that kind of an atmosphere.

Lack of sex, maybe?

Actually, it reminds me when I was back in highschool and one of the prominent SoCred ministers showed up. All she got was three questions about legalizing marijuana.

9 comments:

Andy Lehrer said...

Though not a Liberal I dropped in on a public meeting Wappel was having with students at my university during his leadership campaign. I was shocked by just how right wing and anti-liberal his platform and presentation was so during the Q & A period I stood up and said point blank that nothing he had said sounded Liberal to me and that I thought he was a Campaign Life entrist into the Liberal Party (I also explained what entrism means). Wappel was furious - I swear the vein on his forehead was bulging and he launched into a tirade that alienated everyone. Afterwards, several Liberal students approached me to say that I was right about him.

Reality Bites said...

Ti-guy - yes, he shacked up with one of his staffers.

Not only did he cheat on his wife, he did it on the taxpayers' dime. Left five kids. A real prince of a guy.

And he wonders why schools don't want him near their students.

KC said...

"Yellow Knife" should be one word. Not that I expect someone from Toronto to realize that. Half the time they think its in the Yukon.

Ti-Guy said...

Not that I expect someone from Toronto to realize that.

And what exactly do people from Yellowknife know about Toronto?

Ti-Guy said...

Ti-guy - yes, he shacked up with one of his staffers.

It there any link to this prime dish? I'd like to file it for future reference. I like to have my Catholic hypocrites well-documented...it comes in handy for theological discussions, don't you know.

Reality Bites said...

The links I can find are similar to my own statement.

Since the man spent his entire career ranting about other people's morality, search terms like divorce, adultery and marriage just return stories about his various obsessions.

Ti-Guy said...

The links I can find are similar to my own statement.

That's the downside of a media that doesn't dig too deeply into our public figures' personal lives.

It really is a personal matter, but he'd do well to shut up and stop judging how other people live their lives. I guess he wasn't in Church the day they discussed the ten commandments or what Jesus had to say about hypocrisy.

Reality Bites said...

He has discussed his separation in parliament, in a speech supporting a bill that would require mandatory counselling before divorce.

I believe that your private life is private only to the extent you respect other people's rights to their own private life. Since he has none - not even respect for the secret ballot - anything and everything he does that falls short of the standards he wishes to impose on others against their will is fair game.

Or to put it another way, if Tom Wappel ever got a blow job, as far as I'm concerned they should lock him up and throw away the key.

Unknown said...

"I believe that your private life is private only to the extent you respect other people's rights to their own private life." - RB

LOL. Typical hypocritical leftie. No wonder you and ti are such bosom buddies.