Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Banh Cong!

One Day, everyone will be eating it. Or not. The first time I tried this I didn't like. The 2nd time I was starved and realized the whole point to it. Now I would highly recommend them. The recipe:

It's some sort of tapioca batter, mixed with whole mung beans, sprouts, and daikon or turnip cubes ('white carrot' - whatever that is) in the batter, formed in muffin pans and then they're topped with two small shell-on shrimp and then deep fried. The ones I'm used to seem to be covered with some sort of very hard, but light tempura before frying. I assume they're baked somehow first as the inside seems to be airy, and not dense. I wouldn't expect it to get that way from just deep-frying alone. Or would I? Yes - they're pretty greasy."

They are in fact gloriously greasy, and a wee bit salty. And there's no point trying to peel the shell off the shrimp. You just chomp right through. Yeah, baby! Yeah!!

2 comments:

The Mound of Sound said...

I don't know, Mike. Those things make KFC look like healthfood.

Unknown said...

Seeing that photo I miss baking cake and pastries.

Maria[pimp suit]