On reading this, consider this:
I'm not accusing anyone. I'd just point out that stunts are not unheard of. Watch this story as it evolves.
Update: several of Mr. Litwick's claims are already being contested:
"We received a series of threats and complaints from the public, varying members of the public, significant enough to warrant cancelling the event," Portelance said.
Portelance said the decision was made to ensure the safety of the public and staff and to ensure the protection of the archives themselves.
Fred Litwin, who organized the screening through the Free Thinking Film Society of Ottawa, said library officials talked as late as Monday about pulling the film, but early Tuesday gave him the OK to screen it.
Portelance disputed this claim, however, and said the library never requested the film organizers find another venue.
Litwin said Tuesday at the scene that he was told the screening had been cancelled because there had been protesters inside and outside the building, though he said he didn't see any himself.
You know, on this last point, Litwin has said not only did the Archives want to boot out the film on Monday, but that only an intervention from Heritage Minister James Moore part saved the day. So a word from Moore, who is abroad in the twitterverse this morning, could confirm this instantly.
Update: Fred's been complaining in the comments that I am accusing him of staging this whole episode as a stunt. Well, that had occurred to me, but it seems clear a couple of days in that the threats made about the film were real enough and that its almost inconceivable that Fred or anyone else would go that far just to scare up attention. Fred's also right that the twitter message above refers to events in November. So: sorry for that, Fred.
However, as you can also see from the comments, Fred's account of what occurred previous to Tuesday are a total mess, and still worth setting straight if that is still possible at this late date.